It’s been nine months since my last trip to the U.S. and over a year since I’ve been “home.” I am actually quite proud of myself for lasting this long as it seems I get the “itch” and need to go back after about six months. Since it will be six years this year that I’ve lived in Denmark, I suppose that the longer I live here, the longer I can manage staying in between visits home.
I know this trip will be much different for me in many ways because I have a lot of new perspectives and ways of doing things. That said, there is still a lot that I do miss that have become a sort of tradition for me when I go back. Here are just a few of the things that I’m most looking forward to when I go home.
America Here I Come – What I Look Forward to:
- Seeing and spending time with mom (and other family/friends)
- Playing with my mom’s dogs (Red & Jack)
- Chatting with strangers in shops and public places
- Smiling and getting eye contact from strangers
- Listening to the radio and watching TV and understanding 100% of what is being said all the time
- Not having to do dishes by hand
- Being able to do laundry when I feel like it
- Tasty fresh produce from California and Florida (and Texas too)
- Going to IHOP (International House of Pancakes) for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner
- Visiting the post office
- Going to Blockbuster and renting movies that have not come out yet or at all in DK
- Reading the newspaper every day and catching up on celebrity gossip in the tabloids
- Watching Stephen Colbert from “The Colbert Report,” every night that I can and cracking up
- Watching “Saturday Night Live” and getting up to date on popular culture
- Using the ice machine directly from the fridge
- Having my nails and eyebrows done (and it not costing a fortune)
- Hanging out with my cousin Julia and her new husband, meeting my third cousin and meeting Max, my close friend’s 1 year old
- People helping me while I’m shopping (providing added service)
- Getting refills at restaurants without asking for it
- Sitting in the sun every day that it’s possible (which in Texas is likely to be just about every day)
- Wearing a tank top, flip flops and shorts every day and not getting a chill!!!!
- Watching a few episodes of Oprah
- Checking e-mails using Starbuck’s wi-fi and enjoying a caffeine-free (or half caff)
I’m sure I could think of more…but I think that covers the majors. Until next time, I’ll be high in the sky for about 14 hours starting at 8:00 am tomorrow. Vi ses næste gang!